Friday, February 29, 2008

PsOTW

- man comes in by ambulance for "bunion pain."

- woman comes in with her 14 month old with fever of 101. Says, "I gave him some Tylenol at 6 this morning and his fever went away, but when I picked him up from daycare at 5 his fever was back! So we decided to come on in." Good idea. That Tylenol stuff is one time dose only!

- I'm standing by my desk charting. "Ma'am!! Ma'am!!" Ugh. Is she calling me?? I turn around to see a woman waving a dollar bill through a 1 1/2 foot crack in the door that leads out of the ER into a hallway.

"Ma'am! Ma'am!" she says, still waving her dollar in the air like a handkerchief.

"Yes ma'am?" I reply.

"Do you know where the coke machine is?"

"Are you in the ER waiting room?"

"Yes."

How could you have missed it? It's smack in the middle of the seating area. "Okay, well there's one in the waiting room. It's right in front of the area where you were triaged." I stare at her.

"Can you come show me? I don't know where it is cause I'm not from Memphis."

WHAT?!

I could not help but roll my eyes to the top of my head and snicker as I tried squeezing my expanding stomach out the crack of the door. What in the world does being from Memphis have ANYTHING to do with this situation?! I'm not from Memphis either, but I know where the coke machine is. I'm just glad she didn't end up being my patient. Clearly, she wasn't the brightest crayon in the box.

3 comments:

Wade said...

Bunion pain????

What's the ICD-9 code for that???

Wade said...

Oh! By the way, you should do an on-line baby pool! We did and it was great fun eventhough Shannon broke the rules and entered an additional guess for Mallory and ultimately won!

Wade said...

Sorry to monopolize your comment section but . . . tag! You're it!

This Might Tickle Your Fancy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin