Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Drew's Birth Story

When the writing strike hits and the baby is sleeping, you take advantage of it! Drew is 4 weeks old today. I can't believe how fast it's already going by, and with the time goes my memory and intimate details of his birth day. Therefore, before I forget all the little things I want to remember, I'm going to go ahead and attempt to write them to put in his baby book one day down the road.

July 9, 2008, Wednesday

12:15- 38 weeks, 5 days pregnant. I had a doctor's appointment at 12:15, but was pretty bummed because I'd been checked at the hospital the night before and my cervix had miraculously gone from 2cm the week before to "barely 1cm." I knew nothing huge was going to happen at the office that day. I would be told to go home, wait another 5-6 nights to get my scheduled Csection when the hospital had room for me the next week. This may not sound like a long time, but I promise when you're nearly 39 weeks pregnant with 44 extra pounds on your back, it makes a huge difference. Like, several cryfests worth of difference. At least it did to me. After she checked me she said I was at about 3cm!! Hallelujah. That was C section worthy! She asked when I'd eaten last. I knew she was going to try to work me in then. I was definitely excited, but moreover, I was relieved. She told me not to eat another bite until she knew for sure. They called over to Baptist and worked me in at for a section at 2:30. I was elated! I breathed a huge sigh of relief knowing this incredible physical journey was nearing its final hours!
They asked if I had my bags with me. Well, no. I knew I was going back home that day to await labor pains so I hadn't brought a thing. They said I could head straight to the hospital to get ready or run home and grab my bags. My first thought was, "Bags, nothing. I gotta shave my legs!" Is there a woman out there who doesn't want freshly shaven legs at delivery?

I immediately called Andrew before I got out of the office door. My words were, "Well, are you ready to be a daddy?" "Yeah," he said inquisitively. "Like today?" I prodded. The excitement in his voice was unmistakable. "Are you serious!?" he said. I told him to hurry home so we could get to the hospital. On the way back to the house I called Mom, Dad, Kacie, Deda, and I honestly can't remember who else. Kacie started crying because she was sick and didn't think she could make it. She was so upset she was going to miss the big event. Honestly, I was too! She's my best friend, and I can't say I didn't want her there. Thankfully, she arranged things and made it in the end! I left the office a few minutes after 1:00pm.

I got home, packed the bags, shaved my legs, put away the dishes, did a flight-of-the-bee clean up to the house, and waited on Andrew. Just as I was thinking I was going to have to leave without him, he ran into the house...and wanted to shave his face. Seriously? No one was going to be cutting on his face. Anyway, he hurriedly shaved, got dressed, and jumped in the truck. We were off!

2:00- We got to the hospital and did our admission paperwork. While we waited in the waiting room we took a final pregnancy picture and our "last picture as a family of 2." Yeah--that won't be a framer. It was more like our family of 5--Andrew, Audra, and her 3 chins. We don't broadcast that one with the pregnancy photos. Anyway...

They finally called us back to our L&D room. I got dressed, took off all my jewelry, and prayed they didn't ask if I wore contacts. Lord forbid if I would have had to have pictures made in the delivery room with my glasses on. I decided it was a don't ask, don't tell policy. I just made sure Andrew and my mom knew that if I coded on the table and went into a coma, it'd be nice if they took out my contacts and kept my toenails polished. ;)

If you know me, you know I'm scared of needles. Yes, I'm a nurse. I've always liked that saying, "Needles: tis better to give than receive." Needless to say, I was not looking forward to this IV deal. I knew it was going to be an 18 gauge in case I needed blood, so I decided not to look. I also didn't tell her I was a nurse. That may have made her nervous. I had a sweetheart of a nurse who let me help pick my IV site in my right forearm. Quick stick--ouch! I have a lot more sympathy for those hard-to-stick patients now. They drew blood and started my fluids. I was through a bag and a half of Lactated Ringers before I had to pee. Guess I wasn't drinking enough fluids! My mom showed up, and I was so glad to see her. Then came the worst part.

It's nice if you don't throw up on the table and aspirate. I understand that and was more than willing to accept the oral and IV medications they wanted to give me to prevent that from happening. First I had to basically drink a shot of something that tasted like a terrible, terrible sweet tart. It changes the acidity of your stomach to make you less prone to throw up. Then came the IV Reglan. She warned me that some people get "a little anxious" with that medication. I honestly didn't give that a second thought, and knew I wouldn't have any problems with it. WRONG. Just a minute or two after she gave it to me, I thought I was going to crawl up the wall. Everything going on in my room was suddenly driving me crazy: cell phones ringing, people talking, doors shutting, etc. I silently gripped the side of my bed. I felt like I would never get through this surgery. It also didn't help that I was SOOO hungry. During my panic attack, the anesthesiologist helper (I have no idea what his real title is) came in to ask me 5 million questions. Uh, not a good time, bub. He asks me if I've been informed of the risk of a spinal block. Quick mental thoughts: "What good will it do me to hear them? I'm not pushing out a breech baby, and you're not cutting on me without me being numb." Yes was my not-so-honest answer. He then went through a ton of questions, some of which I apparently answered wrong. Did I smoke? No. Did I drink? No. Did I have headaches? No. Had I experienced racing heartrates during pregnancy? No. At least that's what Mom and Andrew said I said. I guess I was too stressed to think about what he was saying. Anyway, I told him at the end of the questionnaire so all was well. More visitors started to arrive and my Reglan induced anxiety was finally calming somewhat. Then everything happened so quickly...

2:55-The nurse came in and said we were ready to head to surgery. The family went straight to the nursery waiting room and Andrew threw on his scrubs. We didn't even have time to take a picture together! She wheeled me out of the room into the hallway and pointed out Andrew's appointed seat while I got my spinal block.

3:00-That OR is really cold when you're in a gown with only one side! I scooted over from my stretcher to the OR table. That's when the nerves kinda started getting to me. That and the cold air. I was shivering/shaking. They had me sit on the side of the bed and lean against a sweet nurse's chest who held me tightly. Thank goodness. Because all I could see in my head was this guy going inside my spine with a needle and me shaking and making him miss his mark, paralyzing me forever! "Little Mississippi misquito bite," the anesthesiologist said. Quick stick. Quick burn. "More like a Mississippi bee sting!" I responded. But honestly, it wasn't bad at all! The IV was probably worse. Then they had me lie down on the stretcher. I felt my legs get warm and tingly. A minute or so later I saw her taking out a catheter. I was really hoping she'd extend the time so I'd be good and ready. The next thing I knew, I saw urine in a bag. I guess I really was numb! They poked around on me asking if I could feel anything. Thankfully, I was numb. I didn't wanna be one of those freak cases where they find out you're not numb--as they slice you open!

3:20- Andrew came in and sat next to my head. I was so glad they didn't strap my arms down! Dr. Harper came just seconds later. They did a lot of talking down there below that sheet. I started wondering if they had started. Then she said something about, "Whoops. Forgot to tell you I already started. Chart it." Wow. They were already cutting! Dr. Harper said to get the camera ready. Andrew was trying to take a picture of me on the stretcher. I was like, "Get down there quick and snap pictures!"

3:25- He jumped up and got great shots of Drew's grand entrance, spread wide eagle! I heard his cry. It was the most joyous sound to my ears. I started crying with him! They said his cord was wrapped over his shoulder and around his back speculated that may have been the cause he couldn't turn in utero. I automatically asked if the amniotic fluid was clear. They laughed; I guess they thought it was funny that I thought to ask. Yes, it was clear. Another relief! I honestly don't remember if they showed him to me and then took him to the warmer or if he went straight to the warmer. Either way, what seemed like seconds later, they put him in Andrew's arms, wrapped in his blanket with a hat on. He was beautiful, and those were the first words that came out of my mouth without thought: "Hey little man. You're beautiful!" I heard the nurse say both Apgars were 9's. A few minutes later Andrew left to wheel our newborn son out to see the family.

At this point, I have no idea how long it took them to stitch me up. I don't think it was long, but I suddenly became SO tired. I mean, like I couldn't hold my eyes open! They finally moved me to another stretcher to be wheeled back to a recovery room. I got nauseated. Great. Reglan for nothing, I thought! I told the sweetheart anesthetist, and he immediately gave me Zofran and put an alcohol wipe underneath my nose. That helped a ton!

I was in recovery, I'm guessing, an hour or so. The feeling slowly came back up my toes to my legs, knees, and finally upper legs. I got tons of vitals and she watched my urine output. It was finally time to go to the room! On the way there, my nurse wheeled me by the nursery window. You could see straight through the nursery to the waiting room. "There's my family," I told her. "Which ones?" she said. "All of them!" I said. The waiting room was full of nothing but our family! The sweet baby nurse held up my son for me to get a better look. He was so sweet and beautiful...and eating his hands! She told me of how they hardly ever have people there so excited about the birth of their baby. It made me feel sorry for those other sweet babies in the nursery who had no one to cheer on their arrival.

around 5:00- I was taken to my room, moved to a more comfortable bed, and brought a salad for dinner. I remembered how hungry (starving!) I was before surgery. Suddenly, I had no appetite, but not just from dinner being a salad (I hate green leafies). My mom came in to see me and tell me about our sweet son! More family trickled in and I anxiously awaited my little boy's arrival. About 25 minutes later, the baby nurse came in with Drew in the little bassinet. She stood next to my bed giving me all kinds of care instructions. I had no idea what she was saying. All I wanted was to hold my sweet boy! She left the room and Andrew asked if I wanted to hold him. A resounding YES! He picked him up and turned to...HIS BROTHER. I was like, uh, honey!! I carried him for 9 months! Give him to me! He claims he was just showing him to Austin, but I dunno. ;)

It was so surreal holding him in my arms! He was precious...and hungry! His hands were all in his mouth from the start. We passed him around to different family members so they could have their picture made. The room was packed! I don't remember exactly how long it was, but a nurse came in a few minutes later and said he wasn't given sugar water or anything in the nursery so he needed to breastfeed as soon as we were ready. We got started.

They encouraged me over the next 2 days to send my sweet boy to the nursery so I could get some quality sleep. I just couldn't give him up. I had waited all these months to hold him, and it felt so wrong to send him away to a cold nursery with fluorescent lighting with strange voices. Nope. He was staying with me, sleeping with me. The first night we got an hour and a half of sleep. The second night we got 3 hours total.

July 11, 9am- I had finally fallen asleep when a nurse came in the room. I slept through her walking in and talking to Andrew about paperwork. However, in my sleep I heard the words "We're gonna take him for his circumcision now." I was wide awake. The idea of cutting on my baby was horrifying. I had assumed the doctor performing the procedure would come in beforehand so I could ask about a numbing cream at least. Suddenly, I was second guessing my decision. Andrew reminded me this was something we'd decided we definitely wanted to do. I let her wheel him out as I bawled aloud. The next two and a half hours was agonizing. I sat and cried (and hyperventilated and gagged) most of the time. I sat wondering if my son was strapped to a table screaming, wondering why I had let him be tortured like this. I cried as I ate a few bites of breakfast and even as I showered. It was the longest 2 hours of my life. When they FINALLY brought him back to me, I was never happier. I cried again. If I had to do it over, it would be totally different. I would have it done outpatient where they at least use a cream to numb it up. I still can't sleep sometimes imagining his face in pain as they cut on him. It was one of my worst decisions in life. Seriously. I feel so much guilt for the pain I caused him. Never, ever again.

July 12, 2008, Saturday

I can't recall exact times, but Drew basically hadn't peed in 32 hours. We gave him formula, breastmilk, and did everything we could think of to get him to pee. I massaged his bladder, put his feet in warm water, blew cold air on his little wee wee trying to get him to urinate. Finally the nurse came in and said they needed to cath him. I knew this needed to be done, but it was so hard to hear. I knew the outcome would be IV fluids if we didn't cath him to get the urine. Dehydration is a slippery slope and I didn't wanna risk it. I was bawling. I was a complete mess. I was sleep deprived and hormonally crazy. I've never acted like that in my life! I cried and cried and cried when they took him. About 10 minutes later, the baby nurse, Kathy, came back into the room. She said just as she was about to put the betadine on him to clean him off, he peed straight across the room! She said she grabbed the cup and caught 1 oz. in mid air! Long story made short, the urine results were okay, we were released, and got home to a steak dinner with my parents. It never felt so great to be home as a family of three!

2 comments:

Hilary said...

I'm so glad you've written all the details down! We've been so busy discussing Drew we didn't have time to get all the details!

Unknown said...

I loved reading your story!! thanks for sharing all of the details. You did not make a bad decision regarding the circ. All babies cry equally whether they get numbing cream, or even a lidocaine shot.I promise!

Cant wait to hold him!
love~

This Might Tickle Your Fancy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin