Friday, December 5, 2008

A Christmas Survey

During my main alone time of the day (10 min in the morning while Drew plays on the activity mat), I found a Christmas survey type thing on Musings of a Housewife's blog. I thought, "Why not? I need a little Christmas spirit!" If you wanna play along, pretend I tagged you. I hate for people to feel obligated to do a post, so banning myself from tagging.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Everyone gets at least one wrapped gift. And my dad gets all of his wrapped because, well, he knows he's a big kid at heart and loves tearing paper. And since this will be Drew's first Christmas, and he'll care more about the paper than the present, his will all be wrapped.

2. Real tree or Artificial? Artificial all the way. Put it up earlier, take it down later, less mess, and no fire hazard. Please see Wade's post from earlier to read up on more humorous pros and cons!

3. When do you put up the tree? I will confess to putting it up one year on the 2nd week of November. Wait! Before you drop your chin to the floor, I was in nursing school and preparing for final check offs and exams. It was my last free weekend before mid-December! Now it's usually Thanksgiving day, give or take one or two days either way. It wouldn't bother me a bit to eat my Thanksgiving turkey with my tree lit up next to me.

4. When do you take the tree down? As late as possible! A couple of days after New Year's is the latest. By January 4th or 5th I feel lazy if it's still up.

5. Do you like eggnog? I used to loooove egg nog. Now I can't drink it because I have a mental image of swallowing raw eggs in milk. Couldn't they call it something else? Cookie dough nog?

6. Favorite gift received as a child? Our dog, Scooter. May he rest in peace! My sister opened the bog and exclaimed, "It's a dog! A REAL one!" She then proceeded to argue his gender with my dad because he (Scooter) had a bow in his hair. We finally decided it was a Christmas bow.

7. Hardest person to buy for? My dad, and surprisingly, my mom!

8. Easiest person to buy for? My mother-in-law. She loves anything girly.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? No, but we've talked about getting the Fisher Price one for next year so Drew can play with it.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Regular mail is so much more heart felt. You wouldn't mail out thank you notes for your wedding, now would you?

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I doubt the person reads my blog, but she might. If I knew she didn't, I would tell you. ;)

12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Well, I thought it would be a tie between A Christmas Story (mental image of pink bunny suit and a blue bowling ball!) and The Santa Claus, but I think The Santa Claus wins. It's cleaner and soooo funny. One of Tim Allen's best, in my opinion.

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Usually the day after Thanksgiving, if not earlier.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? If I had, I wouldn't tell. :) I guess I could regift that "worst gift" mentioned above. No. I'm not that mean. lol!

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Sausage balls.

16. Lights on the tree? Is there an option?! Lots of white lights.

17. Favorite Christmas song? Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire

18.Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay at Home

19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixion. Comet & Cupid & Donner & Blitzen! And, of course, Rudolph. :) (Side note: My mom was doing this the other day and said Santa had a reindeer named Nixon. I love you, Mom.)

20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Grew up with an angel, but changed to a star since the angel constantly fell off my tree.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning! Presents from family on Christmas Eve, presents from Santa on Christmas morning. Hello. I'll be 24 this Christmas and headed to my parents' house so Santa can bring me gifts. Go ahead and tell me to grow up.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year? People who worry too much about the materialism of gift giving. That's not what this season is about! It's about celebrating Christ's birth, being with family, and enjoying fellowship with one another. THAT is the true joy of Christmas.

23. Favorite ornament theme or color? I love deep golds, reds, and greens this year.

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner? How about Christmas Eve? Call us crazy. We eat fried fish on Christmas Eve. It's been a tradition since I can remember. We were all tired of the turkey & ham, and since we'd be eating it the next day, we opted for a new traditional dinner on Christmas Eve. Fried fish, french fries, baked potatoes, hush puppies, cole slaw, banana pudding, and sweet tea. Yum!

25. What do you want for Christmas this year? To spend time with my family. Seriously, if one gift were not handed out, that would be fine with me!

Play along if you wish!

No comments:

This Might Tickle Your Fancy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin