Sunday, July 5, 2009

Our Last "First" Holiday

Nicki so sweetly reminded me that yesterday was Drew's last "first holiday," and I dare say we had a blast celebrating it! You really can't beat good family, good food, and good fireworks all in one day. Kacie and Judd even made it up for the weekend-always a treat!

This time last year I was, well, for lack of a better, more fitting term--large. Drew had five days left to bake inside me before making his grand appearance. That goes without saying that we did not make it out in the 90 degree heat to see fireworks on July 4, 2008. So my plan for the last year was to make up for it in 2009.

I'm a worrier by nature. I attempt to avoid any meltdowns or cryfests if at all possible, but am starting to realize that would mean locking myself indoors for most of my life (hm...I DO like air conditioning...). I donned my big girl panties last night and took Drew to see the fireworks, against my better judgment. Why the worry?
1) His bedtime usually falls around 7:30-8:00.
2) The fireworks started at 9.
3) They last at least 30 minutes.
4) Getting out of the park in traffic takes 30 min.
5) No nap since 1:30pm

This would not be a good combination. Especially if heat were added.

So it kinda started like this.

But do you know what the magic solution was? Orange juice. Sunny D to be exact, if you count that as "juice." It did the trick quite beautifully! We went without meltdown, scraped knee, or explosive diaper. A lovely evening if I do say so myself!


Not one tear shed over the fireworks!




Impressive. She's holding two babies at once. ;)


Love them and can't wait for their baby to arrive in September!



Oh and what's a southern celebration without sweet tea? Drew's a BIG fan!




Hope you all had a fabulous 4th with your families, celebrating all the sacrifices made for our country by our servicemen and women. And happy birthday to my sweet cousin Aaron! A smile from him is worth a million bucks!

Be a blessing this week!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I am very proud of you for being so brave and letting Drew stay up past his bedtime. I would have worried about it as well :) It appears that everything went great though. I'm so glad you all got to enjoy Drew's last "first" holiday together.

Kacie said...

These are the first pregnant pictures I've seen of myself that I haven't absolutely HATED. Well done! :) Haha!

We had so much fun! Even though we didn't get to stay long, the drive was worth the day we got to spend with everyone! WELL worth it!

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Looks like you had a great time! Any big birthday plans for your little guy? Maybe MY little guy will decide to make his appearance on Drew's birthday! =)

This Might Tickle Your Fancy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin