Monday, January 28, 2008

Steel Magnolias


"The straight haired girls, they all want curls. And brunettes wanna be blond."
-Sara Evans, "Real Fine Place"

It seems like every time I break a sweat in the summer, I'm begging for winter. And every time I freeze getting into my car in the winter, I'm begging for...spring. I was watching one of my all time favorite movies, Steel Magnolias, this morning while everyone else slept. It's seriously one of the best movies ever made pertaining to southern life. It's lighthearted, humorous, and even makes you bawl throughout the entire thing. I was trying to sob quietly so as not to wake Andrew or his brother up. If you haven't seen this movie, you are missing out on a slice of life. Minus some rough language, it's just wholesome! It so made me yearn for spring in this utopian kind of way. It's like the dream season that seems so far away from this cold, dreary season (and so far from any weather here in the South)!

-Lush green grass everywhere
-Gardens full of shade and flowers
-Not one bug in site, although many annoying blackbirds!
-Clean sidewalks lining all the small town houses with front porches
-Huge festivals full of games, strung multicolored lights, rides, fried food
-July in Louisiana and no one on set is breaking a sweat--yeah right!


Anyone know of a place like this besides a Hollywood movie set because I'm ready and willing to travel! Winter is fun for 4 days. December 21-December 25. After that, I'm ready for warm weather. Sad, isn't it? The bad part is, once spring gets to MS, it lasts 2 weeks and it's full blown 95-115 degree weather, full of bugs (including icky spiders), humidity, dead brown grass, and no pools or sidewalks. I guess we can't have our cake and eat it too!

What I AM looking forward to:

I can't wait to plant my flowers and set out my pavers and put out my spring berry wreath! I also can't wait for the static in my hair to go away and my unnaturally dry skin to vanish into the humidity! I'll light my springtime candles, put out my spring table decor, and best of all: break out the flip flops until November.

Hurry up, spring!!

FYI: Upon googling Steel Magnolias, it turns out you can tour the town the movie was filmed in AND stay at the Steel Magnolia house AAAAAND sleep in the pink Shelby room or the Jackson room! It still has some of the original props from the movie. Jackson's mom in the movie is the actual tour guide. She's getting more than her 5 minutes of fame! Not to mention, the beautiful gardens, downtown historic restaurants with music, and a swimming pool. How awesome is that? My husband just might need to make a trip with me to Louisiana!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I seriously cry EVERY time I watch that moveie, which has been about 100 times!

Wade said...

Quick! Name this movie:

"Open your eyes, Shelby! Open your eyes!"

kaciesblog said...

I need a tummy picture update...

BiPolar Wife said...

I actually did stay in the Steel Magnolia House in April of 2008 and took several baths in the pink bathtub! I also got to be quite good friends with Lori Tate, who plays the mother of the groom, in the movie. She gave us the star-studded tour. It was the trip of a lifetime..GO if you can!!!

This Might Tickle Your Fancy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin